Yes, everyone loves a winner, but a ‘win at all costs’ mantra comes at a cost. It creates unease and distress, translating into:
- Excessive pressure on coaches
- Unnecessary, unfair pressure on players (especially juniors)
- Unbalanced playing time
- Unfair team selection, particularly at finals time
- Compromising player wellbeing (playing injured players, for example)
- Disregard for club values and its mission.
A ‘win-only’ measure of success is a narrow lens through which to measure all the amazing things your club can achieve.